Discount Restaurant Equipment Parts

A B C D E F G H I J K l M N O P Q R S T U V W - Z

This is a collection of terms commonly used in describing restaurant equipment parts and their function.

Glossary of Restaurant Equipment Parts - G


A gasket is a mechanical seal which fills the space between two or more mating surfaces, generally to prevent leakage from or into the joined objects while under compression. Ring gaskets are used with plumbing fixtures to create tight seals in plumbing repair, maintenance, or installation jobs. Sheet gaskets are used to create custom gaskets. Cam-and-groove gaskets provide a tight seal between couplings in low-pressure fluid applications such as regulators and pumps. Sanitary gaskets are used in piping systems for the food and beverage industry.


A gear or cogwheel is a rotating machine part having cut teeth or, in the case of a cogwheel, inserted teeth (called cogs), which mesh with another toothed part to transmit torque. Geared devices can change the speed, torque, and direction of a power source. Gears almost always produce a change in torque, creating a mechanical advantage, through their gear ratio, and thus may be considered a simple machine. The teeth on the two meshing gears all have the same shape. Two or more meshing gears, working in a sequence, are called a gear train or a transmission. A gear can mesh with a linear toothed part, called a rack, producing translation instead of rotation.


A transmission provides controlled application of power. Often the term transmission refers simply to the gearbox that uses gears and gear trains to provide speed and torque conversions from a rotating power source to another device.


A gearcase (gear case) is a casing for the gear mechanism of a piece of machinery. Similar in function to a chainguard, it is intended to prevent accidental contact with moving parts.


A "gear motor" refers to a combination of a motor plus a reduction geartrain. These are often conveniently packaged together in one unit. The gear reduction (gear train) reduces the speed of the motor, with a corresponding increase in torque.


A gland (gland seal)is used to prevent leakage of fluid, such as water or steam, between sliding or turning parts of machine elements. One simple example found throughout foodservice operations is a faucet. Other types of sealed connections without moving parts are also sometimes called glands; for example, a cable gland or fitting that connects a flexible electrical conduit to an enclosure, machine or bulkhead facilitates assembly and prevents liquid or gas ingress.

Glass Filler

Glass fillers and water stations are designed used in bars, restaurants and commercial food service kitchens. A glass filler can fill cups and pitchers with fresh drinking water by the simple push of a lever. Available for both counter, in-counter, and wall mount applications, glass fillers can be installed into any kitchen or service area.


A diol (glycol) is a chemical compound containing two hydroxyl groups. An aliphatic diol is also called a glycol. The most common industrial diol is ethylene glycol


 A grate is an opening of several slits side-by-side in a wall, metal sheet or another barrier, usually to allow air or liquids to enter and/or leave and prevent larger objects from going in or out.  In heating, cooling, ventilation, or a combination thereof, a grille is a perforated cover for an air duct. Grilles sometimes have louvers which allow the flow of air to be directed.  In cooking, a grate refers to a generally metallic and often cast iron bridge which serves to support pots, pans and other cooking implements on a stove and providing separation and airflow from the heat source. In actual grilling, such as barbecuing, the grill refers to the grate upon which food is placed for cooking.


A grater, also known as a shredder, is a kitchen utensil used to grate foods into fine pieces. Graters produce shreds that are thinner at the ends than the middle. This allows the grated material to melt or cook in a different manner than the shreds of mostly uniform thickness produced by the grating blade of a food processor.

Grease Can

A grease can is a general term for any container used to collect and accumulate rendered grease and other cooking byproducts prior to repurposing, recycling, or disposal. They come in the form of removable sliding trays or flat pans. The grease can is often positioned downstream of a waste trough, duct or channel.

Grease Drawer

A grease drawer or grease tray, pan, or cup, is a removable container designed to capture grease, oil, fats, and particulate during cooking.  Grease drawers or trays are commonly found in commercial cooktops and ovens.


A grid is a type of physical material distinguished by connected and crossing strands in a mesh like pattern.  Grids can take may forms and serve many purposes in restaurant equipment and accessories and are found in beverage and ice dispensers, ovens, cook tops, fryers, drip trays, filters, sieves, and more.


A grill is a perforated cover for an air duct (used for heating, cooling, or ventilation, or a combination thereof). Grills sometimes have louvers which allow the flow of air to be directed.

A grill may also be a device that cooks food by applying heat from below. There are several varieties of grills, with most falling into one of three categories: gas-fueled, charcoal, or electric.

In frying, a grill may refer to a metallic filtering device used to remove food debris from the cooking oil.


A grommet is a ring or edge strip inserted into a hole through thin material, typically a sheet of textile fabric, sheet metal or composite of carbon fiber, wood or honeycomb. Grommets are generally flared or collared on each side to keep them in place, and are often made of metal, plastic, or rubber. They may be used to prevent tearing or abrasion of the pierced material or protection from abrasion of the insulation on the wire, cable, line being routed through the penetration, and to cover sharp edges of the piercing, or all of the above.


A gauge is a device used to make measurements or in order to display certain dimensional information. A wide variety of tools exist which serve such functions, ranging from simple pieces of material against which sizes can be measured to complex pieces of machinery. Depending on usage, a gauge can be described as "a device for measuring a physical quantity", for example "to determine thickness, gap in space, diameter of materials, or pressure of flow", or "a device that displays the measurement of a monitored system by the use of a needle or pointer that moves along a calibrated scale".


A guard is a device designed or fitted to prevent injury or damage.  Guards in commercial foodservice equipment may include fan guards, splash guards, bread guards, lamp/bulb guards,sneeze guards, kinfe/blade guards and many others.


A groove is a long and narrow indentation built into a material, generally for the purpose of allowing another material or part to move within the groove and be guided by it. A groover is used to create the groove.


A gusset is used as a support, bracket, or plate for joining structural components. Gussets can be found in a variety of shapes and sizes and are made from a range of materials. A gusset plate can form the entire connection or it can be used in conjunction with bolts or welds and other gussets.